Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cartoons and Politics

I have been recently following the blog of the name "The Black Snob". Today there were couple of political cartoons posted there today. Of course i nearly feel off onto the floor laughing. I thought they were well-done and say somethings about Palin and McCain I agree with. One of these cartoons was an interactive flash movie. It got me to thinking though: Was anyone offended? I remember how taken-a-back so many of us was when the New Yorker ran a political cartoon a few months ago depicting Barak as a Muslim and his wife Michelle as a stereotypical angry black revolutionary. Remember? If you don't I'm posting both cartoons side-by-side. Let's look at them objectively. The cartoon from the Black Snob blog was drawn by
Zina Saunders' from her Drawger gallery of political art and the one about the Obamas from the New Yorker are below.
I was offended by the New Yorker cartoon because it says things about the Obamas that are inflammatory and untrue, setting aside the fact that the cartoon was supposed to be mocking people's fears by showing how untrue they are...something that was lost on some people. Does the McCain and Palin cartoons do the same thing? I don't think so. I really do see the Republican ticket as children playing house...all the while asserting maturity and knowledge of how the world works. Failed economic and foreign policies stay failures until they are changed and I don't see the Republican ticket making any significant changes other than what the current administration is currently doing. Here is the link to the page imagining what a Sarah Palin Presidency may be like (also from the Black Snob blog).

Return to Main page.

View blog reactions

0 comments:

Post a Comment