Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Miss America Disses Video Games - G4tv.com

I admit that I completely missed this story, but I wanted to make sure that I commented on it. G4TV posted the following opinion piece.

If you were feeling particularly marginalized and put upon recently, it's because the newest Miss America, Virginia Caressa Cameron, used the competition this weekend as a platform for spouting hateful, anti-gamer rhetoric.
Okay, I'm over-stating. She actually suggested parents should: "Take away the TV, take away the video games, set some standards for our children." She went on to suggest kids should be outside, "playing imaginary games with sticks in the street like I did when I was little."
While Miss America's advice is relatively sensible, consider the source. Is Cameron suggesting that little girls should be discouraged from playing video games in favor of participating in beauty pageants?  In order to be a pageant queen like Cameron, you'd have to devote a considerable amount of time to all the skills needed for Miss America-hood. Like wearing a sparkly dress; and waving and walking at the same time. All that is time when you're not "playing imaginary games with sticks."
So Cameron is suggesting it's better for girls to bleach their teeth, scrub their personalitiies, and starve themselves to earn the right to parade around in front of America and Rush Limbaugh (a Miss America judge) in order to be rated and evaluated like heads of cattle than it is to play video games. If I had a daughter, I'd rather see her taking out noobs with headshots in MW2 than teetering around on too-high high heels and being evaluated for her looks by old, white men.

I disagree with Miss America. I think that the article's author has a point but I think that he was way too harsh. Being a father now means that I have to consider whether or not my children should play video games. Personally, it didn't hurt me. I see video games as just another form of art - like books and movies. Keeping people from video games is no different than censorship. Miss America has a point that children should play outside and use their imaginations. However how c0ould you read a book or play a video game or watch a movie and your imagination not be stirred. I want children to have it all - physical plays, reading books, watching good educational and entertaining television and movies, and playing good video games.

Miss America Disses Video Games - G4tv.com


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Return to Main page.

View blog reactions

0 comments:

Post a Comment