Sunday, December 14, 2008

Ultimate Disrespect

Okay, I came home from church and was greeted with news that I never thought I would hear: The President of the United States was assaulted...with shoes!!! You can't make this stuff up! George Bush made a surprise visit to Iraq today. What amazed me was that I'm sure it was just politics. He was saying "Look, I made Iraq so safe I can visit." Bush refuses to admit that invading Iraq was a mistake. For an Iraqi journalist to throw his shoes at Bush ans shout "Here is your farewell kiss, you dog!", you have to admit that he must not like Bush very much. Added to the fact that in Islamic culture, hitting a person with your shoe is a high insult...akin to slapping someone upside the face with an empty glove in medieval and classical Europe or giving someone "the finger" today in American culture. It shows complete disrespect. I don't know how we should respond. But I don't think that this is something we can ignore. This is not just a slight against Bush but against the Presidency and America. I'm not happy about it at all.

Return to Main page.

View blog reactions

0 comments:

Post a Comment