Saturday, August 1, 2009

Green Lantern DVD Review


I just saw the new DVD movie Green Lantern: First Flight. I've enjoyed all of the DCU animated films, but this one was really cool. It's not based on one particular story from the Green Lantern comic book series but instead re-tells his origin. I am amazed about how really fun the movie is. The music was great. It has good twists and turns. It's based on the Hal Jordon version, not John Stewart. I've followed comic books my whole life so I understand the reason behind basing the movie around the Hal Jordon, but younger folks like my sister's children who are 12, 11, and 8 years-0ld respectively don't know any thing about Hal Jordon. The only Green Lantern they know is John Stewart who is the Green Lantern in Justice League animated series from earlier this decade. I can't wait for them to see this movie also. I really liked how Hal Jordon used his powers. The other thing about the movie is that you don't need to know nothing Green Lantern to enjoy the movie.

The truth is that this animated movie raises the bar immensely for the live-action version under development.

I got the 2-disk special so I got all the special features. It contains 3 additional animated episodes.

1. Duck Dodgers (Daffy Duck) becomes a Green Lantern - It's hillarious.
2. The two-part episiode from Justice League Unlimited where John Stewart, Wonder Woman, and Batman go into the past to fight along side DC Characters who live in the 19th century like Jonah Hex (they're shooting a movie based on him now); and to the future where they fight alongside Static, Batman Beyond, and John Stewart's son - War Hawk. It was a great story.
3. In Blackest Night - from Justice League, where John Stewart is framed for destroying a planet. It was an awesome story.

The only way to end this article is with the Green Lantern oath:

In Brightest Day,
In Blackest Night,
No evil will escape my site.
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power,
Green Lantern's light!







Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Return to Main page.

View blog reactions

0 comments:

Post a Comment