Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Save the Cheerleader, Save The World


If you have been reading my blog then you know I like the television show Heroes. In preparation for season 3's premier on September 22, 2008 on NBC, I re-watched season 1 on DVD and about to start re-watching season 2 on DVD. I thought I'd do a couple of posts discussing each season. As for Season 1, the show seemed to come out of no where during the TV season 2006-2007. I didn't even see every episode until I saw it on DVD. The show appealed to so many different kinds of people. I mean even people who do not like comic books like this show. To be honest I have seen every single superpower on the show before. In the history of X-men there has been at least one character who had the same powers. What is different is the characters themselves. They seem so human and normal. It's taken from the viewpoint of what happens to ordinary people wake up one day and fine themselves in very extraordinary circumstances. I admit that in real life few people would put on spandex (or leather), go out, and fight crime, saving the world on a daily basis. It would take real people time to adjust. Some people would just be as afraid of what they can do as those who have no powers.

I also loved the time travel and how characters' lives would intersect and affect one another without everyone in the show realizing in it. We, the audience, learn about the characters as they learn about themselves. Season 1 was very hard to predict, that is why I liked it. Also I loved how the characters' relationships were center stage. Friendships, Partners, Marriages, Parents and Children, and brothers are all explored. Of all the parent-children relationships depicted it's funny how the least dysfunctional relationship was between Claire and her father, and it was based on him protecting her from the company he worked so they did not know that she had powers. Sylar and his mother were very dysfunctional and went a long way in explaining why he was the villain of the season. Peter and Nathan relationship as brothers and friends were evident and loving despite their dysfunctional relationship with parents who played favorites and one against the other. The stories were awesome and good special effects. There was clever use of sciences that also earns the show respect as good science fiction.

Return to Main page.

View blog reactions

0 comments:

Post a Comment