Thursday, January 8, 2009

Sony's Answer to Apple: "Oh, Yeah?"


In the 1980's, Sony set the standard in personal media content players with its Walkman. Everyone had one. Sony's monopoly on that market dried up in 2000 when apple released its first IPods. Apple quickly refined its technology to not just include music and audio content but also video and web browsing. I for one thought that Sony had given up on this market and let Apple and Microsoft (with is Zune players) have that market. I was wrong. Their "IPod Killer" was announced this week, referred to as "Touchscreen Walkman". Here is a blurb from G4TV's blog:

The NWZ-X1000 features a 3-inch OLED touchscreen, WiFi, noise-canceling and comes in two sizes: 16GB and 32GB. That, my friends, is all anyone knows about it. No doubt Sony is saving the juicy details for the press conference they're holding in the next hour, so keep your browser pointed to G4's CES 2009 coverage for a live blog of all the juicy Sony details.


Personally, I would like more on board memory space. Grant it, it may have SD Card support. I don't know because I haven't seen Sony's Press conference yet. I hope I can see it on G4TV tonight. That is one gripe I have against IPods is that there is no expandable memory capability. This is offset by the ease of connecting a computer to an IPod and seemlessly managing your content, but I admit it: I'm lazy. I'd rather pack music and videos on my personal media player on and on without end. Another thing that lessens my enthusiasm towards the new Walkman is that Sony is rumored to come out with a tablet version of the IPod Touch. It will do everything the IPod devices currently do but with a bigger screen! I love large screens. So unless Sony really impresses us with more features in the Walkman, they should stick to PS3s, PSPs, DVD/BluRay players, and HD televisions!

Return to Main page.

View blog reactions

0 comments:

Post a Comment