Monday, July 21, 2008

Black Comic Book Creator - Dwayne McDuffie


There are three black comic creators I'd like to call attention to. The first one I will discuss is Dwayne McDuffie. I have been following his work for about half my life now. I had seen his name in the credits of some projects and titles that I have thoroughly enjoyed without ever realizing that he is black. He has not only written some of the best comics I have ever read but he has written or helped create many of the animated shows I have been enjoying since the early 1990's. He is highly talented. This post contains pictures of several characters he has worked on. Click on either on them and some will take you a web page about the character for more information.

When you look at the breadth of his work you realize that he has written some of the most iconic and well-known characters in the history of the medium: Spider-man, Superman, Batman, and Iron man to just name a few. He has done more than some writers ever has the opportunity to do namely write and publish his own characters. Most of the characters he created were part of the company called Milestone that he co-created. DC published the Milestone books as partners.
One of the books he did that I remember from the early 90's that I fondly remember was "Damage Control". The concept was that Damage Control was a company that was contracted to local governments that clean up and re-build after a superhero/supervillian battle. I mean who cleans up Manhatten after the Hulk laid waste to 10-20 blocks? It's a job for Damage Control. I liked this book because it did not take itself or the industry too seriously without becoming campy. I hate campy.

Something else that make McDuffie stands out is that he has branched out to animated television from comic books. He wrote lots of great episodes of Justice League, Teen Titans, Static Shock, and Ben 10. He even wrote the story for the video game called "Justice League Heroes". I like the game. A lot of games have lame plots, but this one is interesting and fun to play through.


Return to Main page.

View blog reactions

0 comments:

Post a Comment